|User RatingBe the first one !||
Klonopin is a benzodiazepine that affects potentially unbalanced chemicals in human brain, and is known as an anti-epileptic medication. Its generic name is “clonazepam”. This pharmaceutical is mostly used as a means of treatment/ prophylaxis for seizures among children and adults.
The generic drug may be available without prescription.
Klonopin may form the habit. This medicine might cause physical and/or psychological dependence or withdrawal effect. The latter is possible in case you have completely stopped taking the drug after long-term usage of exceeded dosage.
While taking other pharmaceuticals central nervous system depression is caused, it is important to take the medicine with caution. It may result in severe adverse effects. Also, doctors recommend to abstain from alcohol drinks while undergoing a course of treatment with a drug like clonazepam.
The usage of Klonopin is contra-indicated for those who suffer:
- Allergic reactions to such pharmaceuticals as lorazepam (Ativan), diazepam (Valium), chlordiazepoxide, flurazepam, alprazolam (Xanax), or other benzodiazepine
- Severe liver diseases
- Angle-closure glaucoma
Consult a pharmacist or doctor as to taking the medication if you suffer from diseases like:
- Liver/kidney diseases
- Breathing problems (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, bronchitis, asthma, etc.)
- Suicidal thoughts/behavior or depression
Thus, you will assure yourself that this pharmaceutical does not expose you to danger.
Uses of generic clonozepam
Remember that it is highly important to take the drug in exact accordance with the recommendation of your doctor. The following information cannot substitute for professional medical advice, and applies to adults.
- Seizure prophylaxis: 0.5 mg ― three doses orally per one day. You may increase it to 1 mg in order to establish an adequate control over seizures after three days. Using multiple anticonvulsants, you may suffer increased depressant effects.
- Panic disorder: 0.25 mg ― two doses orally per one day (initially). It is possible to increase the dosage after three days of treatment, making it 1 mg per day.
The drug requires taking a glass of water and swallowing the whole pill. It does not apply to orally disintegrating tablets.
In order to have maximal effect, you need to take Klonopin on a regular basis.
How it works
Klonopin is characterized by the following pharmacological actions:
- Muscle relaxant
The drug interacts with specific benzodiazepine receptors, located in postsynaptic GABA-receptor complex in limbic system of brain, hypothalamus, reticular formation, and internuncial neurons of lateral horns of spinal cord.
The clinical action comes along with intensive prolonged anticonvulsive, counterphobic, and sedative effects.
Suspend taking the drug and seek medical attention immediately in case you have noticed any sign that is mentioned below:
- Allergic reaction (it may appear as forced respiration; airway obstruction; edema of the tongue, face, or lips; rash)
- Intensive convulsions
- Blurred vision
- Yellow skin or whites of the eyes
Other adverse effects, which are not mentioned here, are possible. Come to consult a doctor if you have noticed any unusual side effects, especially if they arouse your concern.
What you should do in case of overdose
These are the symptoms of overdose with the medication:
- Central nervous system depression of any degree (from drowsiness to coma)
- Prolonged mental confusion
- Repression of reflexes
- Respiratory depression
If you have noticed any of these signs, you should seek for emergency medical assistance as soon as possible.