|User RatingBe the first one !||
Generic Flagyl is a medication known for its antiprotozoal and antibacterial effects, which is intended for local administration in gynecological practice. The active material of this drug is metronidazole.
Its action mechanism consists in the capacity of causing the biochemical restoration of 5-nitroimidazole at the expense of intracellular transport proteins of elementary and anaerobic organisms. As a result, there is an inhibition of amino acids synthesis by microorganism’s cell and, consequently, their destruction.
Important information and precautions
When one takes generic Flagyl, it is important to avoid drinking alcohol because of the possibility of negative effects development (vomiting, fever feeling, and tachyarrhythmia).
If it is necessary to take the medication for a prolonged term, there should be strict control of haematological characteristic. In case of leukocytopenia development, the problem on whether that patient should use the medicine in what follows depends on the risk of infection process emergence.
You should avoid sexual contacts when you are undergoing a therapy of trichomonal vaginitis. The course of treatment should not be interrupted during menstruations.
In case of apparent neurologic symptomatology, it is required to stop taking the drug.
Metronidazole, which is a component of the medication, has the ability of immobilizing the treponemes. It may lead to false-positive Nelson’s reaction.
This drug is labeled as a nitroimidazole. Its efficiency reveals itself when the preparation interacts with microbe’s DNA, in consequence of which the disease-producing germ is unable to propagate. Owing to this fact, Flagyl is considered as an effective medicine with a broad spectrum of action. This medication is especially efficient in interaction with such causative agents as:
- Peptostreptococcus spp.
- Giardia intestinalis
- Bacteroides spp.
- Entamoeba histolytica
- Clostridium spp.
- Fusobacterium spp.
Facultative anaerobes are not susceptible to the active material of this pharmaceutical.
Doctors can prescribe generic Flagyl in cases of:
- Protozoan infectious diseases: vaginitis, intestinal and extraintestinal amoebiasis, mycotic urethritis, balantidiasis, lambliosis, trichomoniasis, leishmaniasis, amebic hepatic abscess.
- Infectious diseases of abdominal cavity: peritonitis, liver abscess.
- Infectious diseases of small pelvis organs: endometritis, ovary and Fallopian tubes abscess.
- Central nervous system infection diseases: septicaemia, empyema, bacterial endocarditis, meningitis, brain abscess.
This drug may be also prescribed for postoperative complications prophylaxis after gynecological, pararectal area, and colon surgeries.
Adverse reactions to metronidazole
The following side effects have been noticed after taking this medicine:
- Allergic reactions: allergic rhinitis, fever, nettle rash, hyperemia of face.
- Nervous system: depression, giddiness, increased irritability, pervigilium, mental confusion, coordination disturbance.
- Gastrointestinal tract: anorexia, vomiting, epigastrium pains, nausea, pancreatitis, diarrhea, stomatitis.
In order to prevent these and other possible side reactions, be sure to take the drug only after a consultation with your doctor.
Is Flagyl available without prescription?
It is possible to find this pharmaceutical without prescription. Nevertheless, be sure to use such drugs only if an experienced MD has already prescribed it for you. Remember that self-treatment may be dangerous for your health!