Chronic lack of sleep is a condition where a person does not get enough sleep every day for a long time, sleeps badly and little. All this is accompanied by reduced activity and performance symptoms of lack of sleep.
If you lose interest in life, there is no past activity and even trifles irritate you, then most likely, the body suffers from chronic lack of sleep. Daily lack of sleep time, stormy nightlife and personal life, and often attachment to social networks steal time intended for a full night’s rest.
For a full sleep, it is necessary to give it an average time up to eight hours a day.
Symptoms of chronic lack of sleep – signs of ill health
- Constant depression, burdened with absent-mindedness
- absence of positive emotions and moods, accompanied by irritability
- chronic fatigue
- occurrence of hallucinations and loss of connection in thinking
- feeling of constant sleepiness
- chronic migraine and movement coordination disorder
- reduced immunity and, as a result, the presence of frequent diseases
- lost in time and the essence of what is happening
- swelling of the face and body
- appearance of excess weight
- violation of sexual life
- lack of appetite
- pale skin
- pressure jumps and slowing of reactions, mental activity.
Consequences of chronic lack of sleep
The consequences of chronic lack of sleep do not develop immediately.
The consequences can be very deplorable – it is the acquisition of a bouquet of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, impotence and so on.
The probability of occurrence of a stroke raises in 4 times, in 2 times – all possible oncology, in particular, cancer of an intestine or a mammary gland increases.
Individual need for the number of hours allocated for sleep is determined by each person independently: if the awakening is cheerful and you are in a good mood, then the sleep was full.
Causes of chronic lack of sleep
Main causes are:
- stresses and neurological disorders: frequent sharp waking up in the middle of the night, short dreaming without dreams. All this indicates a debilitated work of the nervous system, when in general the activity of the brain is slow, but some centers are marked by increased excitability
- improper eating, overeating at night lead to a feeling of heaviness in the stomach, endless search for a comfortable position, and restless sleep
- the child’s syndrome – or the violation of the biological clock is characterized by drowsiness during the day, as a consequence, a person begins to suffer from memory flaws, low working capacity, and activity at night
- excessive consumption of alcohol, nicotine and strong coffee increase nervous excitability and, as a result, disturb sleep
- pain in the legs and snoring, the investigative causes of disturbances in the body’s activity cause lack of sleep, provoke inattention and depressed mood.
Treatment of chronic lack of sleep
The most important thing is to observe the hygiene of sleep:
- try to go to bed at the same time, preferably, before midnight
- actively move throughout the day
- in the evening, do not drink coffee-containing drinks, reduce consumption of nicotine and do not abuse with alcohol; it is better to replace these products with herbal decoction or tea
- take a walk before going to bed
- take a relaxing bath before going to bed
- the room for sleep should have air access and be well-ventilated
- go to sleep in silence, discarding all the negative thoughts and emotions that have accumulated over the day
- do not gorge yourself 2 hours before bedtime.
Noticing the signs of chronic lack of sleep, do not let the situation develop, adjust your daily routine and start to observe the basics of a healthy lifestyle. Then, absent-mindedness, fatigue, decreased vitality and emotional tone will not bother you.